Historic Downtown Cañon City
Custom HTML Field:
Apex Building
425,427, 429, & 431 Main Street
Built: 1901
Original Owner: Lyman Robinson
Architect: Marean & Norton of Denver
Architectural Style: Late 19th and Early 20th Century American Movements/Commercial Style

The Apex Building was constructed in 1901 at a cost of $35,000. It was the first of Lyman Robinson's downtown blocks. Located at the corner of 5th and Main Street, Robinson named the building after one of his most prosperous mines in Leadville, Colorado. He went on to build two other buildings and name them after his mines, the Annex Building and the Sulphide Building. Mr. Robinson also built the mansion located at 1st Street and Riverside Drive.

The Apex Building, spanning from 425 to 431 Main, has been home to many businesses. Seeley Drug Store opened the corner store at 431 Main Street in 1902. Seeley Drug was one of the first to have a marble-topped soda fountain. This made it a popular gathering place after attending the Opera House. The corner store was drug store for 75 years. The Singer Drug Store took the place of Seeley Drug from 1914 to 1935. Helm Drug Store continued the tradition from 1936 to 1972.

In 1903 Albright's Grocery and Hay, Grain and Feed Store opened at 425 Main Street. The second floor of the building housed many doctor's and dentist's offices over the years, as well as a large meeting hall. Other businesses at 425 Main have been:

1908 Patton Jeweler's
1911 Majestic Theatre
1953 Emmerson Furniture
1966 Kee Ko 88 Cent Store

In 1942 the second floor suffered the first of two fires. It started in the dental offices of Dr. Fred W. Reiter. The offices and laboratory were a total loss. Twenty-five years later, the Kee Ko 88 Cent Store was gutted when a vending machine ignited the fumes of a nearby gas container.
Object ID:
Click to Enlarge
The Apex BuildingThe Apex Building