Museum Blog

Fremont House

Posted on

The Fremont House, constructed in 1860 by Fernando Taylor, was an early hotel n Cañon City. The building was located at the end of Main Street and 1st Street and was three stories and made of stone. A general store and post office operated out of the building in the early years. In 1872, G. […]

Museum Blog

Making A Spectacle

Posted on

Instead of frames that fit around the ears, these glasses above feature clamps that pinch the nose. Their name, pince-nez, means “to pinch” in French. As theses glasses lacked a way to make them secure on the face, they were often attached to a chain with some form of support – such as hair pin […]

Museum Blog

Off To The Races!

Posted on

A new entertainment was offered in Cañon City in 1952: stock car races. Rodeo Committee President John Beaton announced the rodeo grounds would be used for weekly stock car racing beginning August 2 and continue through the summer and fall. The Cañon City Daily Record reported on the announcement on July 28, 1952 and stated […]

Museum Blog

Thomas Prescott

Posted on

Here in Cañon City, many of our street names are named after pioneers and past residents. One such street is a short branch off the east side of 9th Avenue between Ussie Avenue and Park Avenue. It is named after Thomas Prescott, a pioneer who moved to the area soon after the Civil War. Prescott […]