The Cañon City Clipper newspaper started life in 1888 with F. P. Sheafor as editor. According to the masthead in 1895, the paper was published twice a week, on Tuesdays and Fridays. By that time the editor was Henry M. Mingay and a subscription was two dollars. However, an announcement in 1898 noted that Mingay sold the paper to Fremont Publishing Company, a group of Fremont County residents. The paper was set to change hands on February 1, 1898 with Charles W. Bowman as the new editor. The paper appeared to change ownership, staff, and editors a few more times up through 1905. In December of that year, the paper was purchased by Jack Bell and renamed the Cañon City Cannon beginning on January 1st, 1906.
In a photo of 502-504 Main Street, circa 1888, the Clipper printing office can be seen in the basement of the photo. The 1901 directory places the newspaper offices at 412 Main Street. Just a few years later the offices moved into the new Maupin Block at 113-123 N. 5th Street. This was last location of the Cañon City Clipper before its name change just a few years later.
The information presented in this article is compiled using research conducted by the Royal Gorge Regional Museum and History Center.