Cañon City’s first newspaper, the Cañon City Times, started life on September 8, 1860. The town was still small, with the first farm claim filed January 1860. H. S. Millet was the editor and it was printed every Saturday with a single copy going for 10 cents. A three-month subscription was $1.00 and six months was $1.50. The original office was located along Main Street in a small wooden building. According to the paper itself, the office was relocated to Mr. Hopkin’s new building on Park Street in January 1861. Shortly thereafter, the paper announced on May 9, 1861 that it would begin printing semi-weekly on Thursday and Saturdays. Despite this, the paper’s life was short. The printing office went up for sale in October 1871 and the paper disappeared for the next 11 years.
On March 7, 1872, a newspaper was printed once more bearing the name Cañon City Times. The editor was A.B. Bowen, who originally had another name in mind:
At the suggestion of a number of the “old setlers” [sic] of ’50 and ’60, we have changed the name of this paper from “Life” to what it now is. During the years above mentioned there was published here a paper bearing our name, and its editor Mr. Millet, now of Kansas City, made it so readable that the “old timers” are still attached to the name. If we succeed in making the TIMES junior as interesting as its senior, then all will be well, and friend Millet and his readers of twelve years ago need not fear the resurrection.Cañon City Times, March 14, 1872
Bowen didn’t stay long as editor, passing the paper over to Thomas Ripley and his son Henry on November 7, 1872. Henry was the editor and by February 1873, his brother William had joined the paper, replacing Thomas. During this time, the paper was published Thursdays on a weekly basis. Two different editors followed the Ripley brothers who sold the paper in February 1875. However, by August 1875, it was back in the hands of the Ripley brothers. The last issue was published on May 8, 1877 and the brothers moved to Ouray where they started the Ouray Times, honoring unexpired subscriptions of the defunct Cañon City Times.
The information presented in this article is compiled using research conducted by the Royal Gorge Regional Museum and History Center.