Museum Blog

Thomas Prescott

Posted on

Here in Cañon City, many of our street names are named after pioneers and past residents. One such street is a short branch off the east side of 9th Avenue between Ussie Avenue and Park Avenue. It is named after Thomas Prescott, a pioneer who moved to the area soon after the Civil War. Prescott […]

Museum Blog

Camping Is In Tents

Posted on

Back in June 1917, the city Council was asked by the chamber of commerce to give thought to a conveniently placed camping ground for automobile tourists and visitors during the summer. On June 18, 1917, the council announced they had purchased a tract of land at 12th Street and College Avenue that was to be […]

Museum Blog

Coal Creek

Posted on

The oldest coal camp in Colorado, Coal Creek, was once quite a large bustling hub of activity. The town was first platted in 1887 by Harry and Willard Teller. However, the town had already been well established by that point however with coal discovered in 1860. The first major coal mine was the Canfield, doing […]

Museum Blog

Phoning It In

Posted on

The Colorado Telephone Company began in 1881 in Denver and was established in Cañon City by 1887. An article in the Florence Daily Tribune on February 16, 1899 placed their rates at $3 a month. Austin L. Hatch assumed the management of the company in November 1900. At the time, according to the Cañon City […]

Museum Blog

What’s That Smelt?

Posted on

The American Zinc-Lead Company was built in 1891 at an expense of $200,000 dollars just to the east of 4th Street and Prospect Heights. It was constructed with the purpose of handling ore which contained zinc and copper. In the first 18 months of operation, 1,7000 car loads of ore and fuel were consumed with […]